About The Knotty Woodworker

My photo
Handmade wood furniture artist that ships anywhere! 303.246.4766
bruce@theknottywoodworker.net

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Getting In My Groove

When it comes to the joining of cabinet sides, Many methods may be employed. Since my furniture is usually solid wood construction, I often fined myself unable to use screws for fastening because of aesthetics. My typical method is putting a corresponding groove on a piece in which a perpendicular component will sit in. In it's simplest terms, it is a dado joint. This is perhaps the best joint, in my opinion for a standard cabinet bottom to be joined to a side. I took some pictures of my current project to show you what you can expect when you allow The Knotty Woodworker to build your handmade furniture. The picture below shows a cabinet bottom and a cabinet side. The dado is in the side and is almost 1/2" deep. Furniture manufacturers will use this same joint, but theirs is calibrated and machined on a CNC.









As you can see in this picture, once assembled with glue, this bottom will be very secure for many many years. Stay tuned as I will be posting more pictures of this gun cabinet and sharing my methods so you can see why your best value is handmade furniture created by hand in The Knotty Wood Shop. October marks three years in business and I am running some awesome sales on furniture, particularly My COlorado Expressions style made with native Colorado Beetle Kill Pine. Let's discuss that special gift for that special someone this fall. 303. 246.4766

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly desired and appreciated