About The Knotty Woodworker

My photo
Handmade wood furniture artist that ships anywhere! 303.246.4766
bruce@theknottywoodworker.net

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

FBI - CAPTURED

FBI - Furniture Built Intelligently.

CAPTURED - The backs on all of my pieces.

Let me pry for a minute. Have you ever had a piece of furniture, say a dresser or entertainment center, that had a back nailed on? Chances are it was a heavy duty cardboard material. And on this piece, did you experience the back coming off often?

My cabinet backs are made of, at the minimum, a piece of 1/4" thick MDF core material. When feasible through aesthetic needs and budget allocations, I prefer to use a solid wood back.

The Knotty Woodworker uses a building method I call a "captured back." I run a groove on the inside back edge of all sides and bottoms of my cabinets. If my back is 1/4", the groove will be 1/4" wide and 1/4" deep. If I am using a solid wood back, the width of the groove corresponds with backs thickness and is set in from the back edges enough to leave a 3/4" space on the back of the sides and bottoms.





As you see in the picture above, I have a 1/4" groove in the side and bottom. A 1/4 back will go in that slot that encloses the back of the cabinet. It will "float" in the grooves and only be attached to the top back brace of the cabinet (the brace also serves as a mounting bracket for the top above the cabinet).in the 3/4" are behind the back, I will put in a horizontal piece of material that is 3" wide.





In this picture, a back to a gun cabinet, you can see that the back itself is 3/4" solid wood. It sits in a 1/2"deep groove on the side. You can see how it is set in 3/4" leaving room for a solid wood brace.





Here is the back of the gun cabinet. See the solid wood braces helping to keep the back and the whole cabinet secure? No fear in moving it around, it will stay together.
Extra material, extra steps, extra time. The result? Extra lifespan for your furniture. Outside of a disaster like fire or or falling off a truck, that back will never come off. It is captured. Quality, and nothing short of that is what is built into every piece of furniture by The Knotty Woodworker.
When you invest in tomorrow's antiques with The Knotty Woodworker, your dollar today spends well into the future. All of my pieces carry a 5 year warranty on material and craftsmanship at no extra cost. The guaranty is captured in your furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly desired and appreciated