About The Knotty Woodworker

My photo
Handmade wood furniture artist that ships anywhere! 303.246.4766
bruce@theknottywoodworker.net

Monday, August 3, 2009

Quality Drawers

Many consumers purchase furniture not just for how it looks, but because they need functionality. One of the best storage components available are drawers. You can access your belongings more easily that if it is just a compartment with a door.
But doesn't it really drive you crazy when a drawer no longer functions properly? In most cases, inoperable drawers are due to low quality guide systems and probably the next poor quality factor is when the drawer box itself breaks apart.The next common quality deficiency rears its head when the drawer front falls off of the drawer box. When you spend hard earned money to purchase furniture, the functionality of each piece should NEVER be an issue.
The Knotty Woodworker has very high personal standards for what I will create, market and sell. One of the ares I will not cut corners in is my drawer system. I use the best hardware and the best drawers available. Yes, it is more costly, but the fact of life is this; "The sting of poor quality lasts much longer than the joy received from a low price."
I don't require high quality drawer glides to put money in my pocket. I do so because, as my client, you DESERVE to have drawers that will operate like brand new 25 years from now.
Blum is a company that makes all types of cabinetry hardware and they are of the highest quality available. My drawer glides are made my Blum, they are called Blumotion. These under mount slides are not visible when the drawer is open. All you see is my drawer box.

These glides have a self-retracting mechanism that works much like a shock absorber. When the drawer is almost closed, the gas cylinder is fully extended. The pressure created on the cylinder when the drawer reaches this point causes the cylinder to slowly retract, softly closing the drawer. Not only is this a luxurious feature, but it prevents drawers from being slammed shut which prevents the drawer front from becoming loose or worse, as well as it keeps the shock from the slam from weakening the drawer box joints them selves.






Any piece of heirloom quality furniture with drawers that you design with The Knotty Woodworker will feature the Blumotion by Blum drawer glide system. I would much rather apologize for a slightly higher price than to apologize for poor quality.
When it comes to drawer boxes themselves, I offer two choices. The first is dovetailed drawers made from Beechwood. These are the best that money can buy. I fully guarantee my drawer boxes and my drawer glides for five full years, and the glides have a lifetime warranty by Blum. Think about it, a brand new house carries a one year warranty!



The other option are drawers made from solid wood in the same species of wood as your furniture. These are handmade and carry the same warranty. It is very painful to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of manufactured furniture and have it malfunction after a short period of time. That is why handmade furniture from the Knotty Woodworker is your best value. Spending money with me today spends your money into the future. What I build today will be be enjoyed by your grand kids. And the price difference between my quality and the factory made pieces from a store is not all that big. Seriously, just ask for a quote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly desired and appreciated